Tuesday, December 19, 2017

First Step to being a Loner

First step to being a loner: Eat at a restaurant by yourself. 

Want to take it to the next level? I dare you to go to the movies by yourself. 

Want everyone to think you are even more of a freak? Go on vacation by yourself.

What?! Go somewhere by yourself? That's insane. Who does that? 

Hi. My name is Tiffany and I am on vacation by myself. Back in October or around that time I started struggling emotionally and mentally.. technically physically too, but that is just cause I was working out at the time. No worries I don't have time to work out anymore. So physically I am just chilling right now, but mentally I'm drowning. I am taking 16 hours in school, a little more than a part time job, research with my professor, band at my church, co-filmer/editor with Riverbend Productions, work with the JSU Football team videoing, and I also have my own photography business. I also graduate in April and I am having to decide if I want to pursue photography or another degree or move to the wilderness and live in a cave. Seriously all things considered, a cave sounds nice. I am literally going from 7:00 in the morning til about midnight just about every night. So, mentally I am just drained all the time. 

About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted to take a vacation. I have family in Pensacola, but it isn't much of a vacation because I always have places to be or people to see. My friend has a condo in Surfside, SC. Why not go there? So, needless to say I am sitting in South Carolina on vacation as I am writing this. It has been wonderful. I came alone. Crazy right?

Before coming many people asked why I was going and I said I just needed a mental break. A mini vacay. And everyone understood that. Tiff's busy. She needs a break, of course. Then they would proceed to ask who I was going with. And every time someone asked me this I dreaded telling them I was going alone. Everyone just seemed to look at me like I was crazy.. And I just hated having to explain myself. Why is being alone so scary to everyone? Being alone isn't the same thing as loneliness. I have been alone a lot in life as far as relationships go and I turned out perfectly okay. Like not to long ago I was looking at old pictures and was like OMG, seriously, I have been the third wheel so much. I have had so much practice at being alone, I am good at it. I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily. I feel strong in who I am. I like to have my alone time but others may need to be surrounded by someone at all times. We are all different & that's okay. However, I am not making any extroverts feel bad for being who they are, I just encourage you also to be alone and get to know yourself. 

In being alone this weekend, I haven't had to answer to anyone. I have done everything I wanted to whether that be sit on my bed and eat Cheese Its and watch Netflix (which I did a lot) or sit out on the beach all day and read a book. I got to be me and chill with myself. It drives me insane knowing that some people never enjoy the presence of themselves. I am a big advocate for being by yourself and learning who you are. And just don't let anyone make you feel weird because you want to be alone or try something by yourself. I drove 7 hours alone. Stayed in a condo alone. Ate multiple meals alone. Went shopping alone. And I loved every minute of it. It has truly been an amazing weekend. 

Just don't let someone make you feel weird because of something you like or something you're into. Just be you. If you want to go to go camp under the stars do it. Go on vacation by yourself do it. Don't let anyone keep you from doing the things you want to do. Create relationships with people who encourage you to be who you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment